Use Amazon (or similar sites) as a tool to research story openings. Or better still get down to your local library or bookshop!
Many of the books on Amazon allow you to see the first few pages.
Very useful to explore the different ways to “hook your reader”.
My favourite story openings:
- Maphead, by Lesley Howarth
- Holes, by Louis Sachar
- Sons of Thor, by Magnus Bledwell
- The Terrible Thing That Happened To Barnaby Brocket, by John Boyne
- Cosmic, by Frank Cottrell Boyce
- Wonder, by R J Palacio
- How to Train Your Dragon, by Cressida Cowell
Analyse how they hook you immediately: dialogue? Action? Setting the scene? A statement? Questions?
Hopefully, you’ll love the start so much you’ll just have to read the rest of the book!